An essential introduction to peer work for consumers and carers who are, or who want to be, peer workers.
- Consumers or carers currently working as peer workers
- People whose organisations have identified them as prospective peer workers
- Students wanting to sample the Cert IV of Mental Health Peer Work
At completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand a range of frameworks and approaches applicable to peer work
- Understand the diversity of roles and skills required by a peer worker
- Explore consumer and carer preferences, values, needs and goals
- Work within international, national and state legislative frameworks including the Mental Health Act 2014 and the National Mental Health Standards
- Navigate the mental health system in order to facilitate access to resources, information and services
- Have a thorough understanding of ethical decision making, boundaries, duty of care and dignity of risk and how these impact on consumers, workers and organisations
- Use their lived experience in meaningful and purposeful ways
- Manage risk in sharing stories
- Understand trauma, vicarious trauma, re-traumatisation and the importance of self-care
- Be able to plan, resource, facilitate and evaluate groups common to peer work.
Workshop content will include:
Day 1 – Approaches and frameworks of peer work practice
Day 2 – Understanding the role of the peer worker
Day 3 – Legal and ethical considerations
Day 4 – Using lived experience effectively
Day 5 – Developing and facilitating groups
Mental Health Victoria member rate $671.25 (includes 25 per cent discount)
Non-member rate $895
All course materials are included.
Visit our registration page for upcoming training
Online Training – Zoom
This training will be delivered online via Zoom. A link along with materials for the course will be emailed to the participants one day prior.
Customised In-house Training
Mental Health Victoria can customise any of our training and professional development programs to meet your specific organisational needs, and then deliver online.